Skip to main content

social networking for artists?

Do you blog, tweet, friend, or link? As an artist, do you find that these are helpful to your marketing/networking efforts? Tonight, a group of fellow artists met at my house to discuss how to use the plethora of social media out there. Most of us were ambivalent about having to join in, mostly for lack of time. How does one fit all this stuff in around doing whatever else we do to make money, take care of families, exercise, or get together with "real" friends?

Blogging is more than marketing for me. I use this as a visual diary and a way to shed light on my art for anyone who is interested in the back story. It is much less formal than a website, more immedate and far less intimidating.

My fellow artists felt that a Facebook fan page was the best use of the medium for promoting upcoming shows, open studios, or whatever. Twitter was the least embraced by the 8 of us at ths point, but that may change... we'll see!

The consensus was that all these vehicles may or may not be great marketing tools, but if used wisely, they can augment our studio practice by giving us reason to hone our writing skills and think out loud to an invisible audience. That can be helpful when one is alone in the studio for long hours.

What do you think?

Comments

Kim Hambric said…
I like your "thinking out loud" statement. I am so often unable to explain what I do to others face to face, but I feel I can get the message across in my blog. I'm also finding blogging a great way to get to know myself. Odd, that I am 46 and just getting to know myself. I find most social media to be good for marketing, though I still haven't caught onto twitter. And, frankly, most of the social media platforms are fun.

I have followed a small group of artists on their blogs for well over a year now. In the past few weeks, we have all "gotten into" Facebook and enjoy communicating informally this way. I don't know if that is doing anything for our sales, but it seems to be doing something for our confidence and our feeling of belonging.
Adria said…
Thanks, Kim! Writing is such a valuable tool for artists. I struggle to get my artist statement just right - and in the process, I figure out what the heck I am actually doing!

Popular posts from this blog

New video about my painting process

Thanks to the fabulous Jonathan Barbato at Arlington Cable Media and videographer Samantha Williams-Radecic, I now have an excellent video to show you my working process.

WHACK! Pop up weekend

WHACK!, a pop up exhibit at 49 River St., Beacon Hill, MA, featuring my work as well as my friend Jodi Colella




New work - paper collage, 24" x 24"Stage