Skip to main content

Sanskriti Residency

The first day at Sanskriti Foundation, an artist residency outside of Delhi, I started to explore the grounds and made some rubbings from decorative tiles on the property. I was there for three weeks this January, and am now trying to process all that I saw, felt and thought about. Sanskriti is a 5 acre oasis for contemplative thought and artmaking with several small museums of traditional folk art on the grounds. The challenge for an artist is to bring together the Indian experience with his or her art practice.

  

I would recommend going with a friend or group if you are contemplating attending Sanskriti. India is hard to navigate on your own. It is difficult to leave the grounds of Sanskriti, but essential to do so for any kind of authentic response to the culture. My friends Anne Krinsky and Hartash Dale were both there with me, and it was extremely helpful. Hartash's family lives in Delhi and she also speaks Hindi, so she often became our guide and translator. Anne is also keeping a blog about her experience.