Skip to main content

New year, new studio!

For most of my art life, my studio has been in my basement in Arlington, MA. No commute, and I can work any time of night or day, but there are distractions. Inspired by a visit to NYC two weeks ago where I saw the MOMA painting exhibition, The Forever Now and also the New Museum where I saw an exhibit by UK artist Chris Ofili, I decided that a change was in order.

Chris Ofili's huge works on a crazy purple wall!

A larger studio space outside of the house, where I could really stand back from the work and expand, literally and figuratively, was in my future.

Studio space in Boston, anywhere in the city or close 'burbs is at a premium. Either there is a long wait list, or the price is exorbitant. A posting on Facebook led me to the Western Avenue Studios in Lowell, MA. About a half an hour's drive from my home, it will be a real change for me in many ways. I am looking forward to seeing what happens to my work in my new space. New year, new space.

I was told that it used to be a  photo studio, hence the colorful walls! First order of business is to paint everything white. I could definitely see a wild and colorful background like at the Ofili exhibit, but not as a permanent studio background.

The studio has an extra little room in the front, behind the doorway here.

The windows look out onto the canal running through Lowell! I find that very romantic.